Employment at Rainbow Community SchoolCome be part of our community
Rainbow Community SchoolSeeks Gifted Teachers
Rainbow Community School is always interested in meeting qualified professionals who would like to join our community.
Find Your Inner Warrior
Decide if our philosophy presented on this website resonates with you.
Call for more information and/or send us your resume!
Check Your Inbox
Wait to be contacted.
Why Choose Us
One of the first things you’ll notice about working here is how close-knit and loving our community really is.
Rainbow believes in hiring faculty and staff that shine in their field. Most teachers hold a master’s degree.
40 Years and Counting
Our school has been open since 1978. We have a rich history of providing holistic education.
Learning & Collaboration
At Rainbow, you have the freedom to explore lessons in-depth. We provide ample opportunities for collaboration and continued learning.
Whole Child Teaching
We teach to the Seven Domains and believe in giving students the freedom to be who they are while we meet them where they are.
The Heart of West Asheville
Our school is located in the beautiful community of West Asheville, with plenty of cultural and creative venues.
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
We are seeking a Equity Director for the 2021-22 school year. Rainbow Community School Equity Director will work with students from preschool to 8th grade, staff, parents, and the broader community. This role includes designing and continuing training and facilitating discussions with faculty and staff to support further development of a decolonized and humane approach to education. The Equity Director supports teachers in teaching equity in the classrooms through developing and sourcing curriculum, modeling best practices, and teaching the Equity Elective in Omega Middle School. This role extends into parent education and community advocacy by facilitating equity learning for the RCS parent/family community and serving as the liaison between the school and the wider WNC community to partner in equity efforts.
The Equity Director works as part of the administrative leadership team to help lead the school in efforts to institutionalize and operationalize equity. This includes development, evaluation, and refinement of policies, strategic planning, and review of communication, practices and culture to support an inclusive and safe environment for all stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement, and source training and education that further equity efforts for all stakeholders.
- Teach and mentor students as a class, in small groups, and one-on-one
- Participate in administrative leadership strategic planning, meetings, communications.
- Help to design, implement, and evaluate strategies for data collection to ensure students and families of color, and other nondominant groups, are thriving in the school.
- Work directly with families of color and other nondominant groups, in partnership with teachers and administration, to ensure their voice, perspectives, and needs are being met.
- Build strong community relationships within the local social justice initiatives to help ensure Rainbow Community School remains on the forefront and in support of local efforts.
- Support recruitment and retention efforts for students, families, and staff of color and other nondominant groups.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Masters Degree in related field or significant experience working with Equity Education and Social Justice Initiatives.
- Experience designing and leading training and/or building curriculum.
- A passion for working with youth in the education field.
- Clear, consistent and respectful communicator
- Attentive listener
- Excellent collaborator
- Upstanding ethics and integrity
- Pass state-enforced background check
Salary Range: $34,000-36,000 plus a $3,900 stipend for approximately 24 hours per week. After one year of employment, an additional 2% is added annual to a 403b retirement fund. Tuition remission for children attending Rainbow Community School.
Rainbow Community School is a nonprofit institution that does not discriminate in admissions or hiring practices. We welcome students and staff of any race, creed, ethnic origin, or lifestyle.